Sunday, September 14, 2008

Labor & Birth

Sept. 4 - I had a doctors appt. I weighed 141lbs; I gained 30lbs exactly. Well, I actually saw my mid-wife... she told me I should go for a nice long walk with my Mom, just so Kaiden would come sometime in the very near future. So we went for a nice long walk in the mall.
Sept. 5 - At 9:18am my contractions started. At first I was just a little uncomfortable, not really sure what I should expect. I have been told that contractions feel like cramping... lucky me I don't get cramps. So when they started getting worse I was for certain. I called my coach (Mindy) right up and said "Operation baby feet has commenced". She came over when I stared feeling them more regular, she and I went for a few walks around my complex. By 7:30pm I was beginning to feel the pain of the contractions. So Mom, Mindy & I went to the hospital. My water had not broken yet, but my contractions were pretty strong. As I was sitting in bed in triage my water broke... then the contractions felt even worse. They sent me up to the delivery room. I wanted a natural birth, no drugs what so ever. Of course the contractions were getting worse, so the nurse gave me a pain reliever in my IV. It did affect the baby in anyway, which was my main concern. They also gave me something to help me dilate a little faster. I had been stuck on 4cm for about 4 hours. So they called in a doctor on call. Well, turned out that my water hadn't broken completely and Kaiden's head was in the way a little bit. But they fixed that right up! Ones they made my water break all the way, I dilated to 7cm in 20 minutes. And the pain was horrible. I was shivering and shaking, could barely move and the contractions were painful. I dilated to 8cm about an hour later, trying to tough it out, but knew I couldn't any longer. I was told I should take the epidural and it wouldn't affect Kaiden what so ever. They normally don't give the epidural after 8cm, but since I'm a tiny person they gave it to me anyways. In about 30 minutes to an hour it had kicked in. I no longer felt my contractions and it slowed down the birthing process. I fell asleep... coming in and out of sleep most of the night.
Sept. 6 - By 12 noon, I had finally dilated 10cm... it was time to start pushing! I had pushed for 3 hours straight not getting anywhere. I was exhausted!! The doctor on call finally came in, after being asked repeatedly by the nurse to please come make sure everything was going alright with me and the baby. After pushing for 3 hours, the doctor was like your pelvic is to small and your babies head is to big. His stuck!! They tried to vacuum him out, that didn't work it just freaked me out. Finally the doctor was like, c-section time. I had not prepared myself for a c-section; since I was so determined to have a natural birth. They took me to the OR and I had my c-section. I was pretty drugged up and was out of it when Kaiden was getting cleaned up. Mindy kept telling me to wake up that Kaiden was here and beautiful. Kaiden was born at 4:pm, weighing 8lbs 3 oz and he was so long 21' 1/2"... it was insane!! Seeing him for the first time was amazing and holding him was even more wonderful. I love my little man and Mike is just so thrilled to be a Daddy!!

2 comments:

Kathie said...

It was a long process and this is one grandma that was worn out when it was over. So wonderful that I got to be there for you during most of it. I am still really upset with the "doctor". If she had come when requested the first time (not after the dozenth time) all that pain and pushing would not have been necessary. Hope she doesn't need a reference. Anyway, Kaiden is here and he is beautiful and healthy. And I am so privileged to get to spend this time with him and with you.

Moz + Pam said...

Congratulations to the happy parents! What a blessing a baby is! ENJOY!